Mt. St. Mary’s College is a girls’ boarding school for ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels. It was founded in 1942 by Mother Kevina of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa, a congregation of nuns originating in Ireland. The school is located in Kyaggwe County in Mukono district, 44 Km East of Kampala along Kampala Jinja High way. The idea to start the school was born out of a need to promote the then very much neglected education for girls and women in this country. The group of Missionaries that started the school had within their ministry the mission to uplift the standard and status of women in African society. At its inception in 1942, the school started with only 12 students. In 1946 it was officially opened as the first secondary school for girls in Uganda and by then it had 65 students. In 1964 the Government took over the management and up to date, the school is a National school and Government aided and affiliated to Lugazi Diocese.